The first time I saw D was my first day back at school the first semester of my sophomore year in college. When I opened the door (after my last two roommates, dreading who or what I might find when I entered), I saw her squinting at me from against the radiator at the far wall of the tiny rectangle that was our dorm room, smoking a Marlboro Light 100. I'll never forget the brand she smoked. They fit her. They were slender and inconspicuous, the box long and cream and white and somehow common but sophisticated.
I don't know what it was, and I'm trying to remember it now - it frustrates me that I can't - that told me in an instant that we were kindred spirits.
She was beautiful, slender, native american. She had almond eyes and high cheekbones and long brown hair ... we shared a sort of eclectically funky style. She was fond of loosely woven brown sweaters and a sort of rust colored lipstick that brought out her eyes, hair, skin ... she wore too much makeup to cover old acne scars. She always hid behind that makeup.
I want to tell our story. But it might take me some time to get it right.
I have to start by saying that I miss her.
M
I don't know what it was, and I'm trying to remember it now - it frustrates me that I can't - that told me in an instant that we were kindred spirits.
She was beautiful, slender, native american. She had almond eyes and high cheekbones and long brown hair ... we shared a sort of eclectically funky style. She was fond of loosely woven brown sweaters and a sort of rust colored lipstick that brought out her eyes, hair, skin ... she wore too much makeup to cover old acne scars. She always hid behind that makeup.
I want to tell our story. But it might take me some time to get it right.
I have to start by saying that I miss her.
M
Comments
p.s. thanks for the link...
P.S. Happy Birthday!!! (insert obligatory ballons, noise makers, and drunken revelers here). There, I've sucessfully negated your recent nighmare ( I hope, maybe?)
Cheers :)
M