Skip to main content

May your children's children have painful bunions!

So I was sitting with my tired feet being gurgled in the bubbling jets of a cheap vietnamese manicure shop pedicure chair when I look over to see some preppie chick giving the pedicure girl a hard time. She was apparently unhappy with the level of exfoliation her stupid tootsies had recieved. Fine. Well, first of all, you are paying for what is the equivalent of a happy meal in the scheme of the grand pedicure menu, bitch, so what do you want?

But beyond that ... Her tone was so disdainful and contemptuous, and the pedicure gal handled it so graciously ... Just looking at her sitting there at the feet of this ho-bag, massaging her callouses with the pumice stone one more time, trying to get it right, to make the girl happy, I was SHAKING in anger by the time the whole scene played out and the check was practically THROWN at the poor woman. SHAKING.

I mean, okay - you're unhappy with the services you received. You complain. Acceptable. Fine. But for fuck's sake you can speak to the woman like she's a HUMAN BEING, not your personal FOOT CARE SLAVE!

So, as she waltzed her moneyed, no-class ass out in a "you people are so pathetic" huff, I braced myself and sat up as straight in the chair as I could, and boomed at her as she went past:

"I'd like to know exactly why you think it's acceptable to speak to her so rudely!"

She was completely taken aback for a moment (as was everyone else in the salon, I guess, since they were all just staring at me, saucer-eyed, suspended in time and motion) and then just squinted her eyes at me, rolled them at her slack-jawed, fake-tanned friend, and they were gone.

If we'd been outside, and had been Jr. High, it woulda' been a throw-down, I swear to god!


M

Comments

Anonymous said…
That's what I call, if you'll excuse me....BALLS! Bravo. Believe me, the pedicurist would never forget that somebody stood up for her. Things like that just gets seared into your brain. Hopefully, it will give her courage to stand up for herself the next time.

z
Anonymous said…
That's what I call, if you'll excuse me....BALLS! Bravo. Believe me, the pedicurist would never forget that somebody stood up for her. Things like that just gets seared into your brain. Hopefully, it will give her courage to stand up for herself the next time.

z
Anonymous said…
Arrgh, sorry. I don't know why it posted my comment twice. :P

z
Murph said…
Booyahh!!! Score one for the little guy.

I'll bet you will be the topic of many a cell phone conversation among your local humvee and perrier crowd.

You've made me proud:)
Narrator said…
Mayim, what a pretty name. Is that Hebrew for 'water'?

Thanks for visiting (and liking) my blog. I bookmarked yours too and hope to add you to my FAVOURITES list. :)
Kristiana said…
slap that bitch!
Murph said…
Ok, this post has gone more than a week without any follow up comment. Is anyone else concerned that M might have been kidnapped by a vast yuppie conspiracy and forced into some sort of sadistic Martha Stewart reprograming clinic?
mayim said…
Ha, ha! No such luck!

I've just been under academic quarantine. More when I'm freed from my captors, promise.

M

Popular posts from this blog

here i go again

it seems as though i tend to take up writing again, when i do, in spring.  i don't know that i have any particular reading of this observation, it's just something i noticed.  maybe something about renewal and starting fresh, starting over? i am sitting in my living room and the windows are open and it's a bit chilly but the fresh air feels good.  i have a blanket on my legs and i am sitting cross-legged on a chair.  it's funny to think about writing this blog from this place, this here-now, when i have written it in other places before.  when i think about this blog, it's as though i give it a particular time-space all its own, but i also associate it strongly with the apartment where i lived when it all began.  which feels (and i guess sort of is) a lifetime ago.  i feel like a completely different person, this almost-ten-years-in-the-future me.  back to that catch-up conundrum.  how to explain how different i am now, and all that's happe...

You Tremble at the Edge of Gone

The first time I saw D was my first day back at school the first semester of my sophomore year in college. When I opened the door (after my last two roommates, dreading who or what I might find when I entered), I saw her squinting at me from against the radiator at the far wall of the tiny rectangle that was our dorm room, smoking a Marlboro Light 100. I'll never forget the brand she smoked. They fit her. They were slender and inconspicuous, the box long and cream and white and somehow common but sophisticated. I don't know what it was, and I'm trying to remember it now - it frustrates me that I can't - that told me in an instant that we were kindred spirits. She was beautiful, slender, native american. She had almond eyes and high cheekbones and long brown hair ... we shared a sort of eclectically funky style. She was fond of loosely woven brown sweaters and a sort of rust colored lipstick that brought out her eyes, hair, skin ... she wore too much makeup to cover old ...