Skip to main content

ugh

i have a sinus infection. i have the sneaking suspicion that i've had it for a while, but i tried to deny it. i have been sick off and on and off and on and quite miserable. they run in my family; my dad suffered them for years before his body miraculously developed some sort of immunity to them. i've been plagued with them more often than is pleasant for a while now, too.

i hate allopathic medicine and doctors and most all of what they stand for and perpetuate, but i finally had to break down (after diligent use of my neti pot, all manner of vitamins, herbs, holistic and homeopathic treatments, and torturing everyone around me with twice daily consumption of raw garlic), admit that my body wasn't going to take care of itself this time, and go get an antibiotic. since i'm allergic to penicillin, i normally end up being prescribed strange and frightening synthetic antibiotics. no exception this time. mysterious, mutant, resistant strains of sinus infections require mysterious, mutant, liver threatening antibiotics, i guess.

naturally, i go straight to the internets and dutifully start looking up all the scary side-effects, and almost talk my self out of taking them at all. but of course it is too late because i was so miserable and in so much pain that i popped the first dose on the way home from the doctor's office, and i should really finish the course.

just let me know if you start to see the whites of my eyes yellowing, okay?

m

Comments

Anonymous said…
ok :S

hope you feel better soon.

z
Murph said…
See, this is a good thing, you will be healthier and stronger than you remember, maybe... (I just got off of a 25 day round of Kevlex at 2000 mg per day, sort of gets ya a little high if you mix it with alcohol).

Taking care of oneself can be a good thing. (I say as I look at the healing mass of my post gangrinous toe;)

Hope you feel better.

Popular posts from this blog

May your children's children have painful bunions!

So I was sitting with my tired feet being gurgled in the bubbling jets of a cheap vietnamese manicure shop pedicure chair when I look over to see some preppie chick giving the pedicure girl a hard time. She was apparently unhappy with the level of exfoliation her stupid tootsies had recieved. Fine. Well, first of all, you are paying for what is the equivalent of a happy meal in the scheme of the grand pedicure menu, bitch, so what do you want? But beyond that ... Her tone was so disdainful and contemptuous, and the pedicure gal handled it so graciously ... Just looking at her sitting there at the feet of this ho-bag, massaging her callouses with the pumice stone one more time, trying to get it right, to make the girl happy, I was SHAKING in anger by the time the whole scene played out and the check was practically THROWN at the poor woman. SHAKING. I mean, okay - you're unhappy with the services you received. You complain. Acceptable. Fine. But for fuck's sake you can speak to ...

here i go again

it seems as though i tend to take up writing again, when i do, in spring.  i don't know that i have any particular reading of this observation, it's just something i noticed.  maybe something about renewal and starting fresh, starting over? i am sitting in my living room and the windows are open and it's a bit chilly but the fresh air feels good.  i have a blanket on my legs and i am sitting cross-legged on a chair.  it's funny to think about writing this blog from this place, this here-now, when i have written it in other places before.  when i think about this blog, it's as though i give it a particular time-space all its own, but i also associate it strongly with the apartment where i lived when it all began.  which feels (and i guess sort of is) a lifetime ago.  i feel like a completely different person, this almost-ten-years-in-the-future me.  back to that catch-up conundrum.  how to explain how different i am now, and all that's happe...

You Tremble at the Edge of Gone

The first time I saw D was my first day back at school the first semester of my sophomore year in college. When I opened the door (after my last two roommates, dreading who or what I might find when I entered), I saw her squinting at me from against the radiator at the far wall of the tiny rectangle that was our dorm room, smoking a Marlboro Light 100. I'll never forget the brand she smoked. They fit her. They were slender and inconspicuous, the box long and cream and white and somehow common but sophisticated. I don't know what it was, and I'm trying to remember it now - it frustrates me that I can't - that told me in an instant that we were kindred spirits. She was beautiful, slender, native american. She had almond eyes and high cheekbones and long brown hair ... we shared a sort of eclectically funky style. She was fond of loosely woven brown sweaters and a sort of rust colored lipstick that brought out her eyes, hair, skin ... she wore too much makeup to cover old ...